We have spent the last few weekends making jam jar lanterns for our wedding. I have had friends and colleagues at work saving all their jars for us, Mr Rigg has been busy soaking off all the labels and together we have been attaching wire to make handles.
They are so simple to make, just time consuming! Especially attaching the wire. They’re not particularly beautiful, the wire is a bit twisted, but I love the handmade look of them, all that glass and silver wire, and the fantastic shapes and sizes of the jars.
Homemade jam jar lantern ‘How To’
Getting rid of the labels
- Do them in batches.
- Rip off the paper.
- Use hot water and washing up liquid.
- Leave them to soak for a good amount of time.
- Use a knife to scrape off stubborn glue.
Turning them from jam jars to lanterns
- Use thin but sturdy wire that’s easy to bend.
- Work out the length of wire you need by roughly wrapping it around the rim of the jar and making a loop for a handle.
- Cut the wire to length.
- Make a small loop in one end of the wire.
- Wrap the wire around the rim of the jar and thread it through the loop.
- Pull tightly and securely.
- Make the handle loop.
- Thread the end of the wire under the wire around the rim of the jar.
- Twist to secure.
Looking for other wedding inspired creative projects?
Categories: A Handmade Wedding